PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone up to these days? (in life)

Mitch
12-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Joined these forums when I was 11. Now I'm 23. Life is crazy. My old username used to be "mugboy" if you don't remember.

I still remember a lot of names here that have posted in the past year, randomly. What are you up to these days, professionally?

EDIT: Realized I should probably answer my own question for you.

* Live in San Francisco now
* Graduated with a degree in computer science from University of Washington
* Made an open source project that is used at quite a few companies and growing fast (vagrantup.com)
* Started a company behind that project a month ago
* Started a small company in college and sold it (quite a bit of money but not millions)
* Writing a book for O'Reilly (on Vagrant)
* Speaker at various conferences (OSCON, VelocityConf, RubyConf, FOSDEM, etc etc).
* Friends with Lucas (a member of this forum I met back when I was 12) now in real life, he introduced me to the person who gave me my first job in SF.

Funny that all this began with toying with pet sites.

Dragoon
12-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Working on a B.S. in Computer Science. Just finished up with a semester, so I'm planning to start applying for REU (http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/)s for next summer (last summer before I graduate).

Elite
01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Grabbed a Honors Bachelors in Science and in 3rd year of Med School :)

Eniisa
01-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Finished up my BA last year and after this year, I'll be a registered nurse :)

Iridium
01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Damn we're getting old, I'm turning 30 this month...

As for what I'm doing now:

Graduated ages ago with a degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
I'm married, and living in London
I've worked in the financial sector for just over 5 years
Currently work at an investment bank developing trading systems, with systems I've developed processing about US$1 billion of trades per week (which to be honest, scares me just thinking about it!)
When not at work, I cook, bake, occasionally help out at a local farm (http://www.mudchute.org) and help my wife cover the odd event for http://www.notcot.com!

Nice to see there are still a few people dropping by occasionally to say hello!

000GHOST000
01-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Wow, didn't realize you were behind vagrant Mitch. Congrats! we use it a lot at our company and it's a huge achievement!

Also, thanks to Iridium, you've helped me a lot in becoming a better programmer back in the day! Hope you're enjoying your work in the financial sector!

As for me, working in a startup-like environment on the east coast. Specifically enjoy working on high concurrency stuff involving scaling and handling over a billion requests per day.

btsx
01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
* Graduated with a degree in computer science from University of Washington

Strange, I also attended UW for computer science. We may have been in some of the same classes together (I started there Fall 07).
I actually am a software engineer at UW now.

Rick
01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Well shit, everyone seems like they were pretty successful.

My life:

23 years old now
Dropped out of university at 17, started working construction / welding
Got way into drug dealing, did that as my full time job and made a bit of money
Joined the Marines to clean up my life and 'go legit', went infantry. Finished up my active service, got out a little bit ago, and I want to go back now.
After getting out got very involved in credit card fraud, never got caught.
Stupidly got involved again with old contacts in the trafficking business last year or so, and got caught. Was charged with 5 felonies, and was able to plea guilty to only one felony count of sales, didn't do any time and am currently on felony probation for the next 3 years. Once I got caught trafficking, I stopped the credit card fraud stuff.
Started shooting up heroin for 3 months or so, got clean on my own.
Working as a CNC machinist. Decent pay, could be better.
I live in Oakland, CA right now but moving to San Francisco at the end of this month.

My life has definitely had it's ups and downs, and I've made some bad choices but I can honestly say I'm doing just fine. Been clean, and keeping out of trouble.

breakfast
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Damn we're getting old, I'm turning 30 this month...

As for what I'm doing now:

Graduated ages ago with a degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
I'm married, and living in London
I've worked in the financial sector for just over 5 years
Currently work at an investment bank developing trading systems, with systems I've developed processing about US$1 billion of trades per week (which to be honest, scares me just thinking about it!)
When not at work, I cook, bake, occasionally help out at a local farm (http://www.mudchute.org) and help my wife cover the odd event for http://www.notcot.com!

Nice to see there are still a few people dropping by occasionally to say hello!
That's how the bills are getting paid... ;)

I've got a year left on my B.Sc Mechanical Engineering. I've done about a year's internship with an oil and gas company doing upstream and just started another 8 month internship at a different oil and gas company doing PM.

Bonzi
01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Brooklyn Here:

Just turned 26:

Stopped going to college and got into e-commerce around 8 years ago
Landed a great job working for a e-commerce marketing firm in NY
Just purchased my first piece of property
Starting my own company once I save up a little more
Life is good

Good to see people realizing their potential

Eniisa
01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Got way into drug dealing, did that as my full time job and made a bit of money

Is it anything like how it's shown on Breaking Bad?

Mitch
01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Wow, didn't realize you were behind vagrant Mitch. Congrats! we use it a lot at our company and it's a huge achievement!

Also, thanks to Iridium, you've helped me a lot in becoming a better programmer back in the day! Hope you're enjoying your work in the financial sector!

As for me, working in a startup-like environment on the east coast. Specifically enjoy working on high concurrency stuff involving scaling and handling over a billion requests per day.

Hah! Small world! Cool :) I always wondered what you had ended up doing. I still remember you teaching me how to use "substr" in VB to get the content between two HTML tags. Sillyl kids, we've come a long way.

Strange, I also attended UW for computer science. We may have been in some of the same classes together (I started there Fall 07).
I actually am a software engineer at UW now.

I started there fall of 07 as well, which means we almost certainly were in some of the same classes together. Do you know any of the following names (some are first, some are last, whichever is more recognizable I think, but I don't want to post their full names): Reusch, Meager, Armon, Lipay, Jehad, Anirudh? I'm friends with them all from UW and they all live here in SF now and work at various companies (startups, Twitter, VMWare, etc.)

Kamil
01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey y'all.

I turned 23 a month ago and I feel incredibly old. The past year or two passed by like it was nothing. For some reason, I still feel like I'm 20-21. It's probably because I'm still in a college environment, and that there's no benefit to being any older than 21. I joined neohacks some 11 years ago, in an attempt to become a neopoint millionaire. Hell, I actually succeeded at one point.

B.A. and M.A. in philosophy. I'm currently in my first year of law school. I'm studying a lot, partying a lot, and working out. That pretty much sums up my life right now. I've had a wide range of good and bad experiences in the past few years. I'm trying to get as many life experiences down before it's time to step out into the 'real' world.

It's good to see that people still check nexodyne every now and then. :cool:

-KP

Biddykins
02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Got a degree, riddled with debt, got a job and slowly (very slowly) but surely paying it all off. Win? Not quite? Happy? Meh. Getting there.

Kate
02-18-2013, 08:05 PM
I can't believe I just thought to come here and see if anyone ever brought this place back to life. Not going to lie, a part of me really hoped someone had.
I couldn't even tell you how long ago I first signed up here. I just know it wasn't yesterday and Liam talked me into it. Lots of ups and downs since, to say the least.

I'm on hiatus from my BA right now, thinking I may just scrap it and go get my PR degree that I wanted from the start. Living on my own in the city with some great friends. Making some questionable decisions, but what else is new. I'll be 24 next month.

Glad to see you've all been successful and seem happy.

It's been said a dozen times but I'd love to see someone pull some kind of a reunion together.

AnonymousZC
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Hey guys.

Used to go by the username AnonymousNeopet (I think), but now go by AnonymousZC (on all games/forums).

No idea when I first joined up here, but was a bloomin long time ago.

My life:

Worked for 7 years in a catering business.
Decided to get out and do something I enjoy.
Worked for a company as a Software Dev.
Got sacked for no reason.
Went to University to get a degree so I can get a decent job I enjoy.
Currently in my 2nd year of Computer Science.
Not much else.
Kate told me about this post, so thought i'd come and post here.
Oh and, im currently 27 years old.

rhinoceros
03-02-2013, 08:50 PM
mm, shadowsturm here.

graduating with a degree in chemistry and english and unofficial minor in moonshining in a few months
writing a giant paper on HBO's The Wire
moving to the western US soon for a job as winery brewmaster and assistant distiller, I have no idea what the pay is like but I'd just as soon do it for free (I spend money on brewing/distilling now)

it's good to see that everyone's still alright. except khild. too soon? I think not.

:mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

Iridium
03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
mm, shadowsturm here.

graduating with a degree in chemistry and english and unofficial minor in moonshining in a few months
writing a giant paper on HBO's The Wire
moving to the western US soon for a job as winery brewmaster and assistant distiller, I have no idea what the pay is like but I'd just as soon do it for free (I spend money on brewing/distilling now)

it's good to see that everyone's still alright. except khild. too soon? I think not.

:mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

I was thinking about our friend Khild just yesterday. RIP man.

screaminmonkee
03-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Awww shucks here's my life story since the Nhack days.

I'm 22 now.

Graduated highschool.
Went into a nursing program.
It was a horrible school that wasn't even accredited. Lost time and money.
I managed to go to jail 4 times. Stupid decisions, hanging with the wrong people.
Found the love of my life(reunited with my highschool sweetheart), rescued me to say the least.
We've been together 3 years going on 4.
Completely drug free for the last 2 of those 3.
Now I've found my place, internet marketing.
Last year I made 45k, not much but definitely more than I thought I'd ever amount to.

Alphasee
03-05-2013, 05:16 PM
I randomly came back because I did a search for Ghost. I mean, its not weird that I do that, right?

I've got a three year old and still live in Washington. I had a phone conversation with Meka years ago, and still talk to Dragoon and Kate every so often.

ShadowKnight is on to bigger and better things than me, and I still talk to Christiffer every so often (I foresee him replying to this thread shortly).

C03 Chris I see posting on facebook every so often. I feel bad that I never got to meet you while you were here, mugboy.

What ever happened to X? lol. I currently work at a major ISP in sales and support, bought a condo, and last week, a brand new 2k13 Elantra.

Dragoon
03-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I randomly came back because I did a search for Ghost. I mean, its not weird that I do that, right?

I've got a three year old and still live in Washington. I had a phone conversation with Meka years ago, and still talk to Dragoon and Kate every so often.

ShadowKnight is on to bigger and better things than me, and I still talk to Christiffer every so often (I foresee him replying to this thread shortly).

C03 Chris I see posting on facebook every so often. I feel bad that I never got to meet you while you were here, mugboy.

What ever happened to X? lol. I currently work at a major ISP in sales and support, bought a condo, and last week, a brand new 2k13 Elantra.

I think e-stalking casual acquaintances is quite normal now. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Sounds like things are going pretty well for you. Very belated congrats on the kid.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was planning to apply for REUs (summer research internships). I did, and I got one, so I'll be spending next summer at another university doing research and getting paid ($500 weekly for 10 weeks, free room and board and travel). Pretty excited about that.

Christouffer
03-27-2013, 08:31 AM
<3 Masters in computer science. Working at NetApp. Building http://waypoint.fm Taking singing lessons. Irregularly updating http://dzoba.com Am pretty much now defined by my résumé (http://dzoba.com/ChrisDzobaResume2013.pdf). Nexodyne is on there :)

Dragoon
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
<3 Masters in computer science. Working at NetApp. Building http://waypoint.fm Taking singing lessons. Irregularly updating http://dzoba.com Am pretty much now defined by my résumé (http://dzoba.com/ChrisDzobaResume2013.pdf). Nexodyne is on there :)

Nice resume. I had forgotten about the PC magazine thing.

SnoringFrog
03-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Hadn't thought of this site in a while, stumbled upon it again while googling a junk email account of mine to see what popped up. Never was particularly active even when I first joined, so I doubt anyone remembers me. Came in probably thinking I was some hotshot for teaching myself basic html/css/javascript lol. Come a bit of a ways since then, wish I'd stuck around here. It would have been good for me.

Anyway, as to what I'm up to now:

Finishing up my 3rd year towards a BS in Comp. Sci
Randomly making stupid programs/scripts, hoping to hit on a worthwhile idea
Looking to create; always looking to create (Anything, really. Besides programming I write and am teaching myself to draw in hopes of starting up the comic I've had in my head for years
Struggling through crappy monetary situations. Yay.
Growing an epic beard
And I'm currently 21

If anything still happens at this place, I think I might try and stick around. Like I said, this place would have been good for me as I learned; more practical than the random crap I've been throwing together myself. Too late to go back and fix that, so might as well pick up with y'all now that I can, right?

Dragoon
03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Hadn't thought of this site in a while, stumbled upon it again while googling a junk email account of mine to see what popped up. Never was particularly active even when I first joined, so I doubt anyone remembers me. Came in probably thinking I was some hotshot for teaching myself basic html/css/javascript lol. Come a bit of a ways since then, wish I'd stuck around here. It would have been good for me.

Anyway, as to what I'm up to now:

Finishing up my 3rd year towards a BS in Comp. Sci
Randomly making stupid programs/scripts, hoping to hit on a worthwhile idea
Looking to create; always looking to create (Anything, really. Besides programming I write and am teaching myself to draw in hopes of starting up the comic I've had in my head for years
Struggling through crappy monetary situations. Yay.
Growing an epic beard
And I'm currently 21

If anything still happens at this place, I think I might try and stick around. Like I said, this place would have been good for me as I learned; more practical than the random crap I've been throwing together myself. Too late to go back and fix that, so might as well pick up with y'all now that I can, right?

We still see maybe 1-2 posts a week from actual users, and the occasional spam post. I'd love to see more activity though. I feel like we've got a big enough population of Comp Sci people (damn near all of us, you included) that we could aim for more of a focus on that.

kenw
03-29-2013, 02:06 PM
I've known this girl for about 5 or 6 years now, i've told her that i've liked her and she told me that she like me also. Well it was more her telling me first. So then we got closer until she just decided to stop talking to me one day for over a month. It came to be that she found another guy. It's been around 2 years since that and she has slowly begun to talk to me again, i don't know if this is more of lust or just because i might want to give her a second chance with this i feel more inclined to be with her with every day that passes when we're just hanging out as friends or anything. Now, this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down and I liked to take a minute Just sit right there I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air. In west Philadelphia born and raised, On the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool. And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school, When a couple of guys,who were up to no good,Startin making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared. She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'.I begged and pleaded with her day after day, But she packed my suite case and send me on my way. She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket, I put my walkman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.First class, yo this is bad Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass. Is this what the people of Bel-Air Living like? Hmmmmm this might be alright.But wait I hear there're prissy, wine all that. Is Bel-Air the type of place they send this cool cat? I don't think sow. I'll see when I get there,I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air. I whistled for a cab and when it came near, The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror .If anything I can say this cab is rare, But I thought 'Now forget it' - 'Yo homes to Bel Air'. I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8, And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'. I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there,To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air

Red
03-30-2013, 03:01 AM
- BS in Chemistry, decided to switch majors

- 1st year of Med School now

Damn, everyone is so successful. I guess i'm going to make my kids addicted to some shitty online game to the point that they'll try to exploit it ;)

HYPERION
04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
LOL,I miss the days when I used to somewhat shitpost in this forum as a kid :p .I'm in university now,studying finance. How did you guys manage to grow up so fast? Most people in their early 20's barely work it out. Should I study C++,MySQL and java even though I don't have a degree to prove the fact that I know how to work with them?

Killer chicken here.

Dragoon
04-07-2013, 10:09 PM
LOL,I miss the days when I used to somewhat shitpost in this forum as a kid :p .I'm in university now,studying finance. How did you guys manage to grow up so fast? Most people in their early 20's barely work it out. Should I study C++,MySQL and java even though I don't have a degree to prove the fact that I know how to work with them?

Killer chicken here.

From what I've heard, if you can manage to build a decent development portfolio it's still possible to find work without a CS degree.

Elite
06-09-2013, 10:01 PM

Hey bro, we lost touch now that MSN shut off completely. PM me your email or something.

X and Lucas are the only 2 people from here that I actually kept in touch over the years. I know both are doing well in their respective professions, not sure if they frequent Nexodyne anymore though.

Good to see everyone doing well, def. need to set up a reunion of some sort if somehow a bunch of us happen to be in the same city.

CO3
06-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Turning 25 on 7/7.

Started college, dropped out. Illness.
Started college again, dropped out. Financial Aid screwed me.
Started college a third time, dropped out. Deaths in the family and more illness.

I'm back to pursuing a degree in Information Systems currently.
Writing a novel that's probably going to go nowhere, but it's fun to do.
I still write and play music.
I still draw, primarily digital painting w/ Photoshop and a tablet.
Just found out this morning that my mom may have multiple myeloma and got unexpectedly nostalgic.

If you want to get in touch, Bid or Alphasee know how to find me. If something ever starts up here, let me know.

Dragoon
07-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Turned 25 last month, and I'm about half way through a summer internship. It's going pretty well so far. Two more semesters until I graduate.